Thursday, November 19, 2009

Cleaning ADD and Humiliated Pizza



I was trying to clean my house today.  As I was cleaning I realized that I have cleaning ADD.  This may be a direct result of having children.  I found myself putting a dish in the sink and then putting some laundry away only to pass back through the kitchen and wash a few dishes and then go back to the laundry and then do some mail and start to clear off the kitchen table when I realized I needed to finish putting away the laundry and when I passed back through the kitchen there was food that needed to be put away...This is just an example of my craziness.  All the while I was telling myself to focus on just one thing.  Do just one thing. It didn't work.  Part of it was trying to rush while Josh was napping part of it was just the quantity that needed to be done part of it was feeling very jumbled.  I need to make a checklist and check things off my list.


I decided to splurge today and buy a $4.99 pizza.  While Abby happily munched away I had to first humiliate my pizza.  I stripped off the cheese and then proceeded to eat the very disfigured pizza.  Unlike the picture above the pizza I ate knew what it was like to be dressed in fine mozzerella cheese.  Although I humiliated my pizza it was still yummy.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like your nifty new blog design. Maybe it's not that new, I haven't had time for blogging nonsense for awhile :( Your cleaning ADD is better than my noncleaningeness, so don't be so hard on yourself. And pizza without cheese isn't pizza. Poor Biffy. Poor Josh. How is it I'm the only Haynie whose kids can eat food?

Elizabeth said...

Naked Pizza. So sad. maybe someday you'll be able to return to using your lactase enzymes. :)

Alyssa Rock said...

I don't know if this will be as good for as it is for me, but I find what helps me get motivated to clean is to listen to podcasts. I've got a cheap little non-iPod player that my in-laws got me for Cmas last year. I actually look forward to cleaning now!

In case you're interested in getting into the podcast scene, here's some general favorites that I like:

The Tobolowsky Files, hosted at Slashfilm.com (usually an hour, put out once a week): Actor Stephen Tobolowsky (he was Ned Ryerson in Groundhog Day) is a great storyteller. Here he tells some of his stories about life and working in the movies. If you liked the Timpanogos Storytelling Festival, this is in the same vein. He's amazing.

The Dinner Party Download (about 15-20 minutes long, put out once every 2 weeks): Two reporters from the American Public Media have put together this podcast that will help you "win your next dinner party." These guys are absolutely hilarious. Among other things, the podcast gives you a good joke to tell at your next party, some of the funniest or weirdest news stories that your fellow dinner party guests won't have heard of, a look back at some bizarre thing that happened in history that week, and a song to listen to on your way going to or from your dinner party. They do talk about alcohol a lot (to be expected, given the subject matter), but it's just a really charming podcast.

Radiolab (they put out an hour-long show about once a month, and a short, 20 min show about once or twice a month): These guys take the new or interesting research and talk about the implications that it could possibly have on human life. They always make me look at my world in a different way. It's great stuff.

This American Life (put out once a week, an hour long): Each week, the staff at TAL picks a theme and puts together a bunch of stories on that theme (e.g. radio documentaries and some fiction pieces). I've been a big fan of these guys since my senior year at BYU. Phenomenal.

And you can pretty much find a podcast out there for almost anything you're interested in learning about. I have a lot of film podcasts I listen to, for example. It helps me feel connected to the film scene without actually going to the theater (which is hard to do with kids). I also listen to a few music and news podcasts. My husband has a lot of science, boardgame, and Japanese podcasts. It's great stuff!