Thursday, February 17, 2011

New Years Resolutions

What?  New Years Resolutions?  What?  I know that it is half way through February.  Clearly timely recording is not one of my resolutions.  I have however had these goals in mind for quite some time.  Now it is time to commit.  Part of my hesitancy is that they are so personal.  So personal.

So my first resolution is to be a better wife.    Every few years I try to challenge myself this way.  Being a better wife sounds a lot like being a better human being.  So vague.  I recently read a talk by President Hinckley called "Forgiveness".  He talked about spouses who nag and harrass over small things.  I also read a post by Kristin Armstrong called "Talk Nice" about talking nicely about ourselves and those around us.  That's as deep as I'll go here.  Like I said, it is pretty personal.

So my next resolution is to gain a stronger knowledge and testimony of the prophet Joseph Smith. 

My third resolution is to get a PR on a 5k.  By the end of the year I want to comfortably run a sub 27 min 5k.   I may challenge myself more, but for now this is my goal.  I've signed up for a 5k in May.  If I don't do it there then I will have several options throughout the year.  There is a 10 or 10 that I want to run the Saturday before Father's Day that I will do if I get my 5k goal in May.  I really want to try for the 10 miler, but that requires a time commitment that I'm really unsure about.  I may just have to focus on speed this year. 

3 comments:

R said...

I have a really cheesy goal: I want to run 8 times in the next two weeks. So far my goal has been thrown off-track because I contracted my kids' strep. But if I'm well enough to run by Wednesday I can still pull it off. I also set a goal to be a better wife, I've set this goal a few times. I don't know if I've made any progress or not. I guess I should just keep with it. Problem is, it's not measurable.

Alyssa Rock said...

I'm actually curious how you intend to go about getting a better testimony of Joseph Smith. I must admit that Joseph Smith was always the weakest link in my testimony of the church. And if I'm being honest, I would have to say that studying more about his life has not really helped. At the same time, it's certainly been a transformative experience.

I was going to make a few book recommendations, but I decided it would be best to let you discover what's out there on your own based on your own areas of interest. However, I will extend a heartfelt invitation to you that if you ever want to discuss anything that comes out during your research, please feel free to talk to me and we can puzzle through it together.

Elizabeth said...

Thanks Alyssa. I will take you up on that offer. @R. I had to make the better wife thing specific behaviors. And independent of my husband.