Friday, December 9, 2011

Ingrid

My neighbor passed away suddenly last Sunday.  She wasn't outwardly sick.  In fact she didn't feel ill until a day or two before she died.  Then on Sunday, she died.

Ingrid was the first neighbor I met here.  She was colorful and nice.  She immediately helped me get my yard together.  She encouraged me to get the dead tree out of my yard.  A lot.  She lent me tools and good advice about how to get rid of weeds.

She admired my kids.  And was nice to them.  Every Halloween she made a special goody bag for them, which they loved.  It included special German candy, since that was her first home.

She always smiled and waved.  Sometimes she would walk across the street to talk to us.  And sometimes we would walk across the street to her.

I looked for her and liked her.  And now I miss her.

I am sad that her family is there sifting through her stuff.  They leave a light on, but I still know that the house is vacant.  They are heartbroken. And I am heartbroken for them.

No comments: