Wednesday, April 16, 2008

I'll Stand By You

I was listening to the sirius radio on mom and dad's cable. I'll stand by you by the Pretenders came on. The first sentence says "There's nothing that you could confess that could make me love you less". I thought that was kind of funny. When we get married we kind of promise to be the best to each other, but we also promise to stand by each other through the worst of it. And it can get bad. Ironically we essentially give our partners the ability to hurt us the most. Marriage makes you so vulnerable. So unshielded. It often makes me feel uncomfortable to think of how much I depend on Adam. He takes a lot of crap stemming from that insecurity. It's not that he's not trustworthy. He is trustworthy. He's the best. But I hate to think of what would happen if he weren't. Back to the first sentence of I'll Stand By You. It's not true for me. Adam could say things that could make me hate him. He could do things that would bring me so much further down than death and hate. But maybe the action of love, maybe I would be strong enough to stand by him and eventually love him again. I respect the people that I know that give marriage this incredible commitment.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i think I see it in a much more practical light. You already know the problems this one has, if you get rid of him you'll eventually get stuck with a new one and a new set of yet-unrevealed problems. Blah!