Saturday, June 14, 2008

From the Dumb Side

I was talking to one of four of my incredibly smart siblings. They were expressing the difficulty they have in respecting people of lesser intelligence. Now I have some experience on the other end. That is, the end of lesser intelligence. How do we cope with our stupidity? Do we understand that there are smarter people out there constantly annoyed at our existence? Do we understand that we, the stupids, are bringing down the earth's potential? Hardest of all, do we understand that our best is simply not good enough?

We cope with out stupidity a day at a time. We, the stupids, are often faced with our stupidity in hind sight. It is not as though we understand that our decisions are stupid at the time. This often leads to a lot of repenting everyday. You get good at saying sorry. You get good at taking responsibility, or accepting the blame. It might even take us a day or so to understand why it was our fault but after sometime on the stupid side you learn to just know that it was.

Some of us, most of us, are keenly aware that our stupidity annoys the intelligent side. Most often we are embarassed and wished that we were smarter. Sometimes we can find humor and make the intelligent side laugh, although this does come at a personal cost. Other times when we are jealous and mean spirited we use to frusterate and infuriate the intelligent side. We don't even have to try. Frusterating people is one of the few things that comes naturally to us.

I have yet to understand how I can compensate for my deterioration of the earth's potential. Although I may be a drain on human society I still feel that the commandment to procreate applies to me. So stopping the stupid gene is out. Maybe I am just too dumb think of a way. Genocide of the stupid people is unethical. I guess I just try my best everyday hoping that atleast my contribution to the negative side is less and less.

Lastly, yes we understand that we come up lacking even when we try the best. This has been the greatest lesson of my twenties. I take comfort in knowing that Heavenly Father loves me. That He made a plan for me so that when I come up lacking when I try my best there is someone there to save me- to make up for what I cannot on my own. This does not mean that when I fail a class that I still get to progress. It does not mean that I get what I was going for. It usually means that there is another way provided for me. It does mean that ultimately I will not be left behind and that someone will still be there helping me to understand when everyone else has given up.

Finally how can you as an intelligent person cope being around the stupids? I don't know. I'm too stupid.

10 comments:

matt said...

I have a friend that intimidates me with how sophisticated he is. And yet despite being one of the least sophisticated people I know he still invites me over as a friend. I finally thought that perhaps he would be lonely if he only associated with other people of his caliber. Plus what does it say about a person that limits their circle of friends to great and amazing people? If the Savior held everyone to his own standards where would he be?

Alyssa Rock said...

Smart people need stupid people around so that they can learn charity and forgiveness. Part of charity means loving and accepting people for who they are---wherever they may be on the path of development and progression. That's because I think that charity also means seeing people for what they can become. In my experience, most of us are motivated to be better when we know people genuinely care about us and love us no matter what---as opposed to being shamed into being better. That's what you did for me when I was your roommate and it's that same spirit of love that motivated me to stay active in the church when I was having doubts.

And for the record, I really don't think you're stupid. :)

Alyssa Rock said...

P.S. I realized that my post could be misinterpreted... By "that's what you did for me" I didn't mean you shamed me, I meant that you loved me for who I was. :)

Queen Mum said...

I don't think you are stupid. You are really very smart, all of my kids are smart. I don't know that you have particularly associated with people who are stupid. Stupid people don't try to learn or progress. People who are truly stupid are the ones with an attitude. People who cannot learn are not stupid--they are handicapped, or incapable, a big difference in my opinion! And who is going to argue with the queen mum?

Anonymous said...

Biffy, you remind me of Hazel, "I'm just old and stupid." I don't know how many times over my lifetime I've heard her claim to be stupid. The really aggravating part is that neither of you are stupid. Other than that I agree with all the above comments. I believe it was Confucius ("Confucius say...") who said "All of us are ignorant in one subject." There are things you can be totally smart and skilled in and ignorant in others.

Unknown said...

What happened to the Haynie superiority thing? Why was that abandoned? I learned something new in a philosophy class last year. Confucius real name was Kung Tzu. As brilliant a mind as every one believes he was, he failed miserably in his political career, only later to become one of the great sages. There you go Elizabeth, you haven't really failed at anything, but maybe you can become a great sage at some point if you do. :)

pappasan said...

I don't think smart people need stupid people for charity purposes. I think we need people not as intelligent as we are to teach something we may not know, in our grand intelligence. I consider it like having children. The only difference is, the children seem to learn and grasp the concepts put before them. On the other hand, an adult who is not very intelligent, will not grasp some of the easiest. So what we need to learn is Patience. Parents learn this from children, I have just moved it over to those who are not as smart. Also, opposites do attract.

Laura said...

I love you the way you are. Intelligent, caring, fun, optimistic, enduring, (and I could go on =) - you. Happy Monday!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.