Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Middle Earth and Tattoo Day

The pool is open! Yay! Abby and I were there this last Saturday hanging out. As we entered the pool and got into the crowd I started to feel a little different. I noticed that EVERY adult had a tattoo. Not just half the people but really I was the only adult 18+ without a tattoo. I even looked for a sign that said "Tattoo Day".
I
n conjunction with this thought I have noticed that a lot of people here in Texas look like they crawled out from middle earth. They are freakish in someway. Actually I think that I maybe warped. My friend Alyssa blogged about the concept of a Monkeysphere quite sometime ago. Here is a wikipedia link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monkeysphere There are much less than 150 people in my monkeysphere here in TX. And if you are not within my monkeysphere I think that you look like someone from middle earth. An alien of sorts. Human almost.

I also noticed that I am only a good judge of how beautiful or ugly you are when I still think that you belong to this middle earth. Once I have met you and made a decision about wether I like you then you are either beautiful or ugly. After you enter the monkeysphere it really doesn't matter what you actually look like to me, it just matters how I perceive you as a person. This makes it more difficult to overcome instances where I don't like you. Becuase then you are ugly. And often times it extends to offend my olfactory senses, where I think you stink. This makes is really difficult for people who I initially don't like to be liked by me. For instances there is this new missionary. He made me mad once because Abby had her little hand out to shake his hand and he walked by her like she was a pile of books. This happened twice. It made me really mad. I haven't liked him since. And now he is ugly and smelly. He tries really hard to be extra nice to me because I am really bad at hiding my disgust for him. This is true in other instances. I think that my church bully looks just like Lisa Simpsons bully. I wish I could find a cure for my nerd juice since I see her so often. But she is remarkably more ugly now than when she was in the Middle Earth category.

9 comments:

Alyssa Rock said...

I had no idea that tattoos were that popular, but I hear that almost everyone from our generation is getting them nowadays. This is a little random, but do you remember that kid in our BYU ward from San Luis Obispo who had lots of tattoos and said everyone in his family had one---all of them active, happy LDS people? I think that guy had a crush on you at one point...

P.S. Here's the link to my original blog entry: This Monkey's Gone to Heaven. I'm flattered that it made an impression on you. :)

pappasan said...

I also think it is difficult to like people when there has been a first impression that was bad. I think it can be overcome, though. We are commanded to forgive those who have trespassed against us. Is it possible the Missionary may not have acknowledged Abbyfor a simple reason of being uncomfortable around children??? I tend to ask people point blank, knowing I may get a point blank answer, if I have done something to them they didn't like. I may hold feelings against them that I caused. Not knowing and thinking they are to blame, when it is myself who started it all. The only we can find out is to speak with this person, find out if maybe we have done something wrong. Most Texans are from Middle Earth anyhow!!!!

Anonymous said...

I always thought I was just anti-social. Now I know that I just have a deficient neocortex, which, I believe, is genetic. That's what I'm going to say the next time I just don't want to talk to someone. "Sorry, I'm neocortex challenged so I can't include you in my monkeysphere."

Elizabeth said...

I do remember that guy. He wiped his nose on the back of his ties, which he only bought from DI and NEVER washed them. That's why he always wore a tie, even with a t-shirt. He was an English major. Yeah he kind of liked me and kind of like Megan. From what I recall neither of us wanted to be close to his icky snotty tie.

Elizabeth said...

I'm sorry have you filled out an application to be part of my monkeysphere? When there is an opening I will let you know...

Anonymous said...

Admittance to my monkeysphere is by invitation only.

S said...

Stay out of my monkeysphere!!! I have a little baby Ammon in my monkeysphere and there's no more room!

Queen Mum said...

Sariah wins--her's was the best comment!

Unknown said...

FYI- I had a computer problem that has now been resolved. As a result, please update your link to my page. http://web.mac.com/williamcassidy If you don't update the link, it will direct you to a dead site that will not update. -Thanks