Thursday, June 5, 2008

Grandpa Haynie

Today Grandpa Haynie (Donald Lee Haynie) passed away. I remember him singing "I'm so pretty, so pretty and witty and gay!!!" after allowing me to "do his hair". I also remember him calling me "you-sell-us" and then spelling it so I would get it "U S E L E S S". Or Lzabeth. I always enjoyed it when he would pop his teeth out. I have appreciated his tireless work in family history and keeping the family connected with his viginettes. I'll always remember my father reading "grandpa stories" to us. I remember him sealing Adam and I in the Bountiful temple. I'm sad to know that I won't be recieving a phone call from Grandpa in October after my son is born asking me all of his information to be shared in the viginette. However I know that he is having a great time meeting all of the people that he researched for so long.

6 comments:

pappasan said...

I didn't know Grdpa Haynie very well, but what I did know of him, is that he truely cared for everyone he came in contact with. Although I only was able to see him a few times in the last 10 years, he always had a way of making me feel extremely comfortable. I am sorry I did not get to know him even better.

Alyssa Rock said...

I lost my grandpa last year, so I can empathize. Your family will be in our prayers!

pappasan said...

Also, what I knew of Grandpa Haynie, he is chatting with Joseph Smith and all of his family. The one thing that got me through my father's death in January, is the fact I knew he was a good man, I know he will be waiting for work to be done for him next January. Both will be waiting with open arms for us, when we pass from here.

S said...

I loved when he popped his teeth out too. I'm glad he got to do that for my older kids. Just after Oli was born we went out to Denver and Donna gave him the cold shoulder and dirty looks and mean grunts. I went upstairs to lay little bitty Oli down and by the time I got back down he had Donna giggling on his lap. He was always great with kids. He called me "Sariah Maria" in a really bad spanish accent. I can still hear his voice in my head. I also thought about the phone call I will miss when I have baby Ammon.

matt said...

I made the mistake of clicking on "the office" link. I've spent nearly all day watching the office. That is such a funny show.

Anonymous said...

Matt-awesome.