Wednesday, February 18, 2009

At the end of the day it amounts to stress management

I'm starting to really feel it now. Ironically this picture shows a lot of it. I noticed that I have an urgent and insatiable desire for chocolate. And ofcourse like all unnecessary things it fails to satisfy. And like all people when you aren't satisfied then you think that you need more. So the chocolate cycle goes.
Abby has been on some sort of incredible good behavior strike. If I thought motherhood was hard before I was wrong. The last few days I could swear that Abby has, at points, stripped off her angelic face to rear her true demon head. I've tried to look for rational explanations but none seemed to fit. Then last night the culprit came to view. At 11 pm she woke up crying with a fever. She said her throat hurt and upon closer examination today her throat was quite swollen. I thought strep throat but it turned out to be a nasty ear infection. And it looked as though our doctor had had quite a day and in the nicest way he could he said that we should be looking for signs of the flu as well. Apparently our area is hit really bad this year. Bad year to skip the flu shot.
The car situation is taking its toll as well. It seems as though everyday brings on a new crisis. Yesterday Enterprise called to inform me that we were $250 over our $750 max with Geico. I was shocked since I had only been in the car for a few hours. After about 1 1/2 hours of telephone tag I finally figured out that Enterprise had made a clerical mistake. But everyday there seems to be some sort of occurance. We decided to go ahead and file through Geico, our insurance. USAA drastically underestimated the value of our car. They offered us nearly $1000 less than the KBB price. On top of that I have found their adjustors to be rude and try to blame their lack of organization on me. I got really fed up with the lectures and being put off. Geico came within $200 of our KBB and coincidentally the amount of the loan we have left to pay off. And for the most part, so far, they have been really on the ball. Now I just have to wait for the medical bills to come piling in.
Finding a new van has been an extremely loathesome process. There are no dealerships close by with either a Toyota or a Honda. Or really any van. They can only try to sell me vans that are more than $5,000 over my price limit. So I am having to drive out to Irving, Arlington, and Fort Worth. So far all of my trips have been in vain. One van had a broken A/C unit- a no sell in Texas. Another one was filthy and had the interior ripped up and had a VCR unit built in. I don't necessarilly look for any kind of built in entertainment center but I certainly don't want a huge useless (to me) VCR taking up precious space. Adam went to try and see one today on his lunch break and was led on a wild goose hunt around Arlington to figure out where the owner's wife had driven it too. I still haven't found out how that went, or ended. I have 3 appointments set up for tomorrow to see some vans. I hope that one of them will be a good deal. I hope that we will be able to buy a van this week.
Another really stressful point of this week is that Adam was released as the Executive Secretary and put in as the Young Men's president. The forboding omen? He went to a meeting on Sunday that was supposed to last for about 45 minutes. It lasted for 3 hours. This also means that he has been and will be gone every night this week. I am holding out hope for Thursday night.
Maybe incidental to all that is going on I have this draining sense of doom. I keep waiting for something totally catastrophic to happen. It just feels like all of this is leading up to something...

5 comments:

rock pup said...

sounds like you are haveing a horrible time. i hope all goes well.

Laura said...

Oh biffy - swanny (sorry - I haven't called you that in so long ;) sister in law of mine. You have certainly had your time of it! Thanks for the heads up on USAA! We just switched to them when we got our van, and it made me really nervous too. It's funny - on Monday, I was just thinking about Adam and his calling, and had this feeling that his time was really required for his calling. We are praying for you. It is hard - especially in the beginning when it takes time to get things organized and up and running. Here is what I am praying for for you:
That the children and you do not get the flu! That your family will be blessed as Adam serves in this new, very time consuming calling, that you will be able to find a vehicle that will meet your needs, and that you will feel some peace. Hugs to you and the family, Laura

Anonymous said...

Laura, you're so sweet and you always know what to say. I just want to add one thing; Biffy, let's go get chocolate. I can pick you up if I need to. We can go Friday after Ben's dialysis then, maybe, Abby and Theron will be asleep and we won't have to drag them along.

Elizabeth said...

sounds good.

Andrea & Larry Pillsbury said...

Good luck with everything guys. We will keep you in our prayers. Adam you will make an awesome YM Pres.