Friday, February 20, 2009

White Bread


Lately I have had an intense desire to eat white bread. For a few nights I have been having white bread for dessert. I remember in High School when I thought that white bread was just bread. No color. Just bread. And that bread was good for you. It was one of life's simple pleasures. A food that tasted good that was good for you. Even though I have been eating ONLY wheat bread for atleast one year, possibly longer, I still want white bread. I have tried to become a die hard fanatic of wheat bread. I have tried all the wheat breads and tried really really hard to prefer them. But in the end my taste buds revert and long for the days when bread was just bread. And bread, just bread, was good for you.
I have found that going to all wheat bread that I simply consume less bread. A sandwich is no longer as appealing. I would rather cook pasta than have a quick sandwich. And I do not cook with all wheat pasta. So then by eating the white pasta instead of the wheat sandwich I am losing the point. Anyway I guess that this post is here for those of you who have a strong conviction about wheat bread to voice it. Please convince me not to go to the store and soil my innards with white bread from here on out. Please tantalize my taste buds with thoughts of delicious wheat bread. I want to be healthy. But I also want to eat white bread.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love wheat bread. Not just wheat bread but the kind with lots of other grains and seeds and stuff. Mmmmm. I kinda hate white bread. Maybe it's because I was born before Mom decided to quit baking whole-wheat bread and just buy the white stuff from the store. Anyway, I read somewhere recently that white bread has it's merits. My question is how did you develop a liking of fish (GAG) but can't learn to like wheat bread?

ADAM BROWN said...

White Bread Rules! Wheat Bread Drools! Long live the white bread makers!

Laura said...

You have hit my weakness! but my problem is - I love bread. Not so much sandwich bread you buy at the groceries unless it is Brownberry or something insanely expensive for what it it! I love bakery bread. golden and crispy on the outside, and perfectly dense, chewy, and soft all at the same time on the inside. I have had some wheat breads like this as well. So to me it isn't about color - only about consistency. Have you ever been to Paradise Bakery and Cafe? They make what is called Molasses bread. Which is wheat with molasses in it. Sometimes I day dream about their turkey and cranberry sandwich on molasses bread. Panera is my next choice. Yes. I love bread =). I don't discriminate by color - only by consistency =).

pappasan said...

I do not really care for white bread, it always seems to be soggy or stale. But then I also do not like bread that crunches either. I like Honey Wheat or Whole wheat. Sourdough is pretty good also.

rock pup said...

white bread is amazing it is best for toast and grilled cheese, but wheat is best for ham, turkey, cheese, and mayonaes sandwiches, mmmmmmm dang now im hungry and it is fast sunday too... lol!! so yeah i limit my self to those choices, white is for this and wheat is for that.

kristy said...

Try making your mom's whole wheat bread recipe. When I make home made bread, I could eat half a loaf fresh out of the oven with butter on it. Also, home made bread makes the best garlic toast. If you are worried that it will go bad and want to use it up, garlic toast or french toast are an easy way to make it fresh and gone. :)

matt said...

i agree with Becca, my favorite kind has seeds and grains in it. I like wheat bread when it's not to dry and hard, sometimes it just doesn't taste good. So maybe you need to get with Becca to make sure you have the right kind.

S said...

I always thought wheat bread was a treat since we didn't get it very often. I loved when mom would make her wheat bread and make the flour herself. So I have good memories of wheat bread. I buy white bread only on occasion. White bread does make the best toast and dinner rolls.