Tuesday, February 10, 2009

My Functional Body



Lately I have had to remind myself a lot that it is not how I look that matters to me as much as what my body can do. Thinking about my body that way is a lot better than thinking about it in terms of numbers. I find myself thinking things like "I will be happy when I am a single digit size" or "I will be happy when there are no (put a number here) in my weight". I also catch myself looking in the mirror and contemplating where things are and where they ought to be. But when I look at other people I tend to consider more about what their bodies can do than what they look like. At the gym I noticed that I didn't tell myself I wanted to look like the rail thin chemical blonde girl, I wanted to be like the girl that was kicking butt on the treadmill or intimidating the male loungers with her weight lifting skills. That is what is more important.
When I look at old people and what makes aging better it becomes all about function. I hear a lot of older people talking in the terms of what they used to do and how they can no longer do it. Then there is a whole different class of old people who defy odds and are still doing it. The key I think is to never stop. Another key is to focus more on function than looks. Which is where I struggle somewhat. Like I said at the beginning I feel myself gravitating more towards numbers and looks than function. If I keep my physical goals about function than I have a true goal. An achievable goal, whereas my weight naturally shifts and alters throughout the day, week, month and even year despite what I may be doing. My genetics control a lot of what clothes I can and cannot wear. But I can control what my body can and cannot do. I just need to remember that the gravitational pull on my body is not my problem. My problem is increasing the function of my body.

7 comments:

matt said...

I'm never intimidated by the women I see when I'm working out. Mostly I'm in my bubble. I don't bother anyone and no one bothers me.

pappasan said...

I remember watching guys lift weights at Bally's, then stand up and puff themselve up, like they were so good at weight lifting. Then Becca would add weight to theirs and start doing her reps. She told me that one guy's balloon got burst so bad, when she did this, that he actually left the gym. A good character builder for him I would say.

Anonymous said...

I don't remember that. Tonight I found myself watching some young guy at the college gym, admiring him. Not the way he looked, but what he was doing (boxing BTW). I thought "Wow, he's really good at that, I'd like to get that good." Weird.

Queen Mum said...

I know people younger than myself that can't keep up with me, and I wonder how much of it is their own fault. I know people older than me that I can't keep up with, and wonder how much of that is my own fault. Then I think of how I can change what I am doing. Then I eat a cookie and feel better about everything!

ADAM BROWN said...

I dont know what you are talking about. I think your body is functional and good looking!

Laura said...

Adam, you gave a perfect answer - you get gold stars =). I can't wait until my body is more functional...maybe take out the more. I think it is ....I can't wait until I am functional again period =). I keep thinking - just a week and four days and it will be more functional. But then I remember the recovery time of a c-section =(. Reading your blog inspired me though, and I still look forward to that time when I will be functional again - no matter the time frame =). Thanks!

Laura said...

since I have missed blogging with the family, and our webpage is down, I started a blog here too. I just did it this morning, so there is nothing there but a post. I'll figure out the picture thing later and how to add everyone here onto my blogs I watch. It is
laura-haynie.blogspot.com