Saturday, April 23, 2011

Being Present

Lately I have found my self adrift in my own mental ocean.  It's as if I am stranded there on a raft without a paddle meandering through the waves of whatever happens by.  If I do happen to focus and pay attention I get mental whiplash from the shock of actually paying attention, that and because of my absentmindedness it is usually something alarming that catches my attention.

Don't get me wrong-none of my children have recently gone to the E.R. or even required band aids from this.  It's just that my mind is going so often in so many radical directions that no one thing has had my attention for more than a few minutes.  I find myself bumping into thoughts of a show watched days ago while crashing through weekend plans.  That sort of thing.

In Yoga the last pose is all about being present, take that back.  The whole class is about being present but the last pose is an exercise to be fully present in just that moment.  To give yourself and that time all of your attention.  Thinking about breathing and feeling and living.  Not dishes, diapers or delivering.  Not kids, candies, or cleaning.  Just breathing.

I need to do more of just breathing and feeling in the moment.  I need to turn of the distractions both mental and electrical.  And just breath. 

No comments: