Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Lenting Chocolate


Since Isabelle was born I have been on a chocolate rampage.  It was never enough.  I found myself seeking chocolate uncontrollably all hours of the day and night.  It was a problem.  Especially since I have some unwanted pounds.  So I thought that I would use lent as an opportunity to break my chocolate habit.  Ha ha.  It has been 4 weeks.

The first two weeks of lent were spent discovering how entrenched chocolate is in my diet.  Can I have white chocolate?  Who knew that supposedly red velvet has chocolate in it?  Not me.  I was iffy about the white chocolate since it does not have cocoa in it but ultimately decided that it would simply act as a substitute for 'real' chocolate.  Red velvet was simply ignorance on my part.  Had no idea.

So two full weeks without any chocolate, although some close calls.  I thought by now the cravings would have let up but they have not.  My husband regularly asks me if I'm catholic and then taunts me with his increase in chocolate.  The biggest thing I have learned from this is that I can do what I say I will do and I can keep promises.

Unfortunately the positive side effects I was hoping for are not there.  I have not lost weight.  I do not run faster.  The cravings are still present.  It feels more like a battle of will at this point.  I can and will hold on but at this point it is solely because I said I would do it.  So here's to two more weeks of chocolate-less bliss.

No comments: