Monday, December 1, 2008

Tummy Time

For a couple of weeks I have been putting Josh on his tummy for tummy time. When I did this to Abby she cried and figured out how to roll as fast as possible. Josh just falls asleep. It really scares me. I have been given so much information on SIDS and how sleeping on your stomach can be really dangerous. Especially if the baby is congested. Which Josh has been since day one. Worse now, he is showing a preference to sleep on his tummy. He cried half the morning and I knew that he was tired. I couldn't figure out what was keeping him awake. I tried everything. Finally I decided I had to put him down while I got lunch for Abby. I put him on his tummy for some tummy time since he was crying anyway. Almost immediately the crying stopped and before I finished dishing out the macaroni and cheese he was asleep. I just don't want him to die. I know that millions of kids have successfully survived sleeping on their stomach's as infants and that there is not clear cause or indications for SIDS. Either way I'm paranoid. I just really don't want him to die. I would feel a lot better about it if he could roll over.

3 comments:

Queen Mum said...

You would probably feel better about it if he could actually breathe. Poor baby, maybe tomorrow Dr. can give him something or do something for him. He is more congested than Gabe or Matt ever were.

Anonymous said...

Poor baby, poor Biffy. He will be rolling over soon enough, and crawling, and talking and running...

S said...

There is nothing you can do about SID's. Nothing. If baby sleeps better on his tummy then let him. Just make sure he has nothing in his face. Who knows, maybe some good sleep on his tummy will help the congestion. I don't think there is enough evidence of babies dying because of the way they prefer to sleep. They just want you to feel like you have control of something you can't. What are you gonna do when he learns to roll over and sleep on his tummy by himself? Ammon's the only baby I have that sleeps better on his back. Maybe that's why he was facing the wrong way through almost all my labor. Hmm...