Sunday, March 1, 2009

100th Post.

So this is my 100th post on biffybrownsblog. Pretty cool eh? I intend for this post to be a catch up post of sorts. But I really feel like writing somethings that are fairly intimate that have been on my mind. This will probably become a series of posts that I hope someday my children can benefit from.

Through a series of situations through the past month or so I have thought a lot about chastity and what it means and its incredible importance. It seems like we teach our kids that chastity is important because you don't want to have kids before you are married. While that is a very excellent reason to remain chaste there are so many more. I think that chastity allows you a sort of freedom, which may seem ironic. But being a chaste person allows you to focus on a world outside of romantic interests. It doesn't mean that you totally ignore or shun that aspect of your life but it is far easier to cultivate other interests while being chaste.

I had an experience that is so cliche but really hit home today. I was making rice Krispy squares with Abby and we were melting the butter and marshmallows on the burner together. I kept telling her to not touch the burner because it was hot and it would hurt her. She kept getting really close but never touched it. When it was time to take it off the burner I placed the hot pot on the "off" burner. I picked up the pot and Abby touched the "off" burner that the pot had just been on. She jerked her hand away and told me that it was hot. I was glad that she touched the more cool burner but a little upset that I had failed to impress upon her the importance of not touching the hot burner.

I began thinking about heat and how heat is so wonderful in the right context and so destructive in the wrong context. I think that chastity keeps us in the right context, where we can build ourselves and others up. It helps us to have positive experiences that help us gain self confidence and reach higher goals. It helps us maintain friendships and healthy family relationships. Without chastity we can be and feel degraded. It is easier and inevitable that we will have negative experiences that cause us to feel badly about ourselves and others. It also causes us to become isolated and starved for appropriate and fulfilling relationships. Unfortunately it can lead to a cycle where we seek less and less chaste relationships and acts to try and fulfill that which only chastity can give.

One of the most maginficent things about chastity is that it is a decision that we can make at any point. We can become chaste where we were not before. I believe that this is made possible through Jesus Christ and his Atonement. Through Him we can be forgiven of prior offenses and choose to live a better life. He is always inviting us to choose the better way. Chastity is the better way. It feels better to do what is right. Confusion and hard feelings can be resolved. It can fulfill us and make us a more whole person than any unchaste choice can. I know that this is true. I believe and testify that chastity is a Godly characteristic. A desirable characteristic. One that I intend on pursuing and advocating through out my life. I am so glad to enjoy a chaste relationship with my husband and to reap the benefits of chastity with him. I invite those around me, whom I love dearly, especially my sweet children, to join me. Come and enjoy the sweetness and security of a chaste life.

3 comments:

Alyssa Rock said...

Thanks for such a thoughtful post, Elizabeth. Your analogy about heat is actually really close to the one that Jeffrey R. Holland uses in "Of Souls, Symbols and Sacraments," which you should definitely read if you haven't already. Kudos on being in touch with the great ones like Holland!

As a side note, after teaching the chastity lesson to Beehives a couple of times, I've come to the realization that really only parents can approach this topic with the sensitivity and love that teaching about this topic requires. It really is up to the parents to make sure that this important message gets across appropriately.

matt said...

I love having chastity with my wife, it's my favorite!

Anonymous said...

Matt-you ruined it. Biffy-AMEN sister. Guess you need to teach a FHE lesson soon.