Monday, May 5, 2008

6 Things Everyone Should Accomplish By the Time They Are 18

My friend Alyssa tagged me months ago, like March. I think that this hit me kind of at a busy time. Also I reflected a lot about what I didn't know or had not accomplished by the time I was 18 and therefore also what I have not yet accomplished. I also thought of Abby and what I want her to accomplish by then. Here's my best shot at it, in no particular order.

#1 Everyone should know how to fill out basic forms. Fortunately this is one that I did know how to do but found working with the general public that most people struggle with. You should know how to fill out medical forms, including all of the information pertinent to yourself. You should be able to fill out a job application. You should be able to fill out a college application. You should be able to fill out a basic tax form.

#2 Everyone should understand basic finance ideas by this time. This one I did not know. But I was not alone. I remember, as may Alyssa, asking why I was paying extra for utilities. I didn't sign up for that I said. Ha ha. I had no idea what they were. I am not sure if this was because I received the information and filed it in the not pertinent to me right now file or if I never received the information. I also had no idea how to communicate with my bank or how to keep records of my finances. Another big doosie: I had no idea how interest in my credit card worked, non the less fees.

#3 Everyone should have a religious experience by 18. It's hard for me to say that everyone should be attending a decided upon religion or practicing a decided religion by 18. I do think that everyone should have an idea of what religion is and why it is so important to people. With this idea I guess that I want people to be respectful and tolerant of mainstream religions (I say mainstream because I don't think we should be tolerant of abusive sects ie David Koresh or the current FLDS crisis). By 18 you should know to be observant of others deeply held beliefs and show respect. I also think that by this age it is important for people to have started exploring what their own beliefs are.

#4 Everyone should have succesfully participated on a team or group striving for the same goal. This could be a sports team, student council, a youth group doing a service project. I'm not talking about an assigned school project that takes 1-2 meetings. I am talking about something more long term where the individual is invested in the results. These experiences are important to learn how to operate in a group. It also exploits our strenghts and weaknesses. Admittedley I hated group projects, it never seemed fair that my grade depended on others. However, I do think it has real world application. As much as I might dislike that the success of the project depended on other people this is true in work settings and community settings.

#5 Everyone should have engaged in an activity that increased their confidence, something hard that taught them how to cope with hard things and that they can do hard things. Also this activity should inspire them to continue working towards a goal. For me this was cross country. I made a goal at the beginning of my senior year that I would never miss a day of cross country. I succeeded with benefits that are still lasting today. I know that I can do hard things. I know how I cope with the ups and downs of adversity. I also made goals after the season was over to always be able to run a mile in 10 minutes. This has been true for most of the 10 years since I made that goal. It is true right now.

#6 Everyone should have participated in some form of community service/program that supports the community. This hopefully will become a lifetime pursuit. For me I really like to live in communities that have a strong community center. Orem, UT had a really good community, both rec center and library. Bountiful had also had really strong programs. The one that I have been most involved in however is Hurst. I truly have a strong love of Hurst because of the community programs. I also love to support the different local causes through running 5k's that support the community. I think that there are a variety of ways to support local community and that individuals should be aware not only of what some of them are but seek out the ways that they will enjoy and continue.

5 comments:

pappasan said...

Make it 7 things Everyone Should Accomplish by the Time They Are 18, biffy. I agree with all 6 you have, but one is missing. The one should be by the time you are 18, you should be able to meet someone different, as in physically not matching the norm, to be able to overcome ones own insecurities. I have met, over my lifetime, people who have been physically and mentally handicapped. Some of them have the brightest outlook on life. I have also met people who have never been sick a day in their life, who cannot understand the people with limitations can be extremely intelligent and a great friend. Instead they make fun of those people, because they don't try.

Alyssa Rock said...

Wow... that list is awesome, Elizabeth. Much more thoughtful than mine. :) I 100% agree with everything.

matt said...

I love this list too, it resonates with lessons I've learned in my early adulthood also. I especially like the one about filling out forms - some people are so dumb it's amazing. I would go a little further and say that they should be able to write well enough that they could share a thought without the aid of a form.

Elizabeth said...

I wasn' trying to push it...

Queen Mum said...

Good job, Biffy! You make me proud to be the queen mum. I like pappasan's comment, too.