Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Garbage Men

Today is trash day. Coincidentally it is supposed to rain and not just a little bit. Our trashmen always throw the lids of our trash cans in our lawn so I stopped putting them on our trashcans when I put them out. So on days like today I feel kind of bad for trashmen. I can't think of a worse Texas day to pick trash up. The can is full of water and the trash is hot and decomposing and it must just be inevitable that you would get some of the icky trash water splashed or even poured onto you. What if some of it landed on your face or worse yet in your mouth? Not to mention how heavy it would be with water in it. I would be quite grouchy at the end of my day. And extra extra smelly.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That must be why Fort Worth requires you to rent their garbage carts with lids attached and why their trucks have arms to grab said carts and empty them into the truck. It still doesn't stop them from throwing the carts all over the street and, often, breaking the lids off of them. They also manage to dump 1/2 the garbage in the street. But I hear they're paid well. Maybe I'll drop out of college and get a job with the "sanitation" crew...

matt said...

I think with a day's worth of experience, you could get pretty good at avoiding the water and trash. I think that with all their experience, they've found that it's best to put your lids in the grass and leave your cans upside down. That's what they do here too.

pappasan said...

Another problem we have when the trash misses the truck, is all the papers and cups and such blow into our yard, where it stops because the wind is blocked from 3 directions. So not only, many times, do we pick up our own trash again, but also neighbors trash that has blown out as well.

AngeeBee said...

That was kind of you to think of them - here our garbage is picked up EVERY DAY by a garbage truck! I still only find myself putting my garbage out a couple times a week - but every day they are there helping keep my home cleaner (by hauling my garbage away)!

Elizabeth said...

Wow. Everyday hu. Glad to hear from you Andrea!

Laura said...

I am always grateful for the garbage men. It is a job I wouldn't want!