Monday, May 19, 2008

Well SInce you Asked...

On Sariah's blog William solicited help with an overactive Mary. Well since you asked...Abby is an active child as well. One thing has helped Abigail with any behavior issues and it's good for me too. Usually before she goes to sleep (either a nap or nighttime) I lay down and hold her and tell her of the things that she does well. I'm very specific. Like "You buckle your Sunday shoes so well, you really worked at it and now you can do it all by yourself!" or "You are so nice to your friends in Nursery, I saw you sharing a toy with Ethan." It's important to be specific I think. Also I keep going until she is asleep. I think that this gives her confidence and lets her know that I think she does a good job at a lot of things and that I know that she can do hard things. Like be good all the way through Sacrament meeting. It also reminds me of all of the amazing and wonderful things that she does. This helps me treat her like she is a good girl, becuase really she is, somedays I just need to say it out loud to recognize it.
Also for sacrament meeting I don't bring food or drinks at all anymore. I only bring the worlds most washable markers, a coloring book, and one reading book. When she is bored I try to have her sit on my lap and I try to explain to her what the speaker is saying. She's not perfect but she's getting a lot better.

4 comments:

Alyssa Rock said...

That is so cool, Liz!

I read an article recently that says that some praise is harmful to children... the kind where you just say, "You're a good girl." But praise that focuses on specific things that they are doing well is a good motivator because it gives them confidence that they can accomplish what they set out to do if they work hard enough.

I'm filing this away for future use. ;)

Laura said...

I love the way you tell Abby specific things she does well! Imagine how great our world would be if everyone was encouraged by positive words!

Unknown said...

Yes I asked, thanks for noticing. :)

S said...

it's worth a try! Except the whole until she's asleep thing. If I stayed in her room she would never fall asleep. The other girls would but not Mary. Thanks.