Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Goodbye Van



This is a picture of my thumb post accident. On Saturday I was taking advantage of some sales that were occurring over the weekend. I had left Josh and Abby at home with Adam. I just did not want to take them with. I felt so strongly in fact I had decided that if I had to take them with I just would not go. But Josh fell asleep and Abby was happy to stay with Adam so I left. First I went to Target to pick up some things. Then I left the parking lot and headed toward Albertson's. As I turned out of the parking lot and proceeded into the intersection directly outside the shopping center I saw a truck coming at me. It happened that quick. Everything went dark and I could hear the crashing sound and my body flopping around like a ragdoll. Immediately after that my air bag deflated and I watched the truck crash into another stopped vehicle. I could see that the driver was passed out and I heard her sister shouting that she thought that she was dead. I instinctively looked back and saw that my children were not in the car and thanked God right there for that incredible blessing. When I looked back the driver of the vehicle that hit me, a young girl, was alert and in fact getting out of her car. I was unable to get out of my car because the door was pinned shut. I got my phone out and dialed 911 and they informed me that the accident was already reported. I looked in my review mirror and saw an ambulance. I thought that that was really weird. I think that it was at this point I called Adam. They came to my door and got me to the other less damaged side of my van but wouldn't let me out. My thumb was really nasty looking and I could already feel that I had whip lash. The paramedics were from Keller and happened to come right up on the accident almost immediately after it had happened. The 911 operator had been talking about dispatching a different ambulance. The Keller paramedics assisted me until the North Richland Hills PD and ambulance had arrived. Then I was carted of to North Hills Hospital to get X-Rays of my thumb. Although it is not broken it is sprained and hurts REALLY bad. Probably the most disheartening thing of it all is the almost imminent death of my van. Dad and Adam got there really quick (thanks guys) and told me later that it is very unlikely that they will fix my van. I have begun the arduous task of dealing with insurance companies. The young 16 year old girl that hit me is claiming to have had a protected left but there are witnesses that state that I had a green light. This means there will be some sort of investigation. Hopefully I will have a rental car tomorrow. And a check for a new van shortly thereafter. Hopefully. Prayerfully. It is unlikely that we will find such an awesome deal again although we are looking. Still we only had 3 years left to pay on this van. And I loved that van. A lot. Most favorite vehicle of mine. I feel incredibly blessed that I was the ONLY person in the van. Abby is already freaked out without having been in the accident. She and Josh would have probably been injured. That keeps up at night and off the roads during the day.

10 comments:

S said...

I'm glad you're ok. Sorry about your thumb. Glad you left the babes at home!

S said...

On the upside, you look great for just having a baby!

Alyssa Rock said...

What a scary accident! Reminds me of that one time on Valentine's Day when you and Megan took off for Wendy's and never came back. You sure had us scared!

Susan said...

Oh my heck, I had NO idea! I'm soooo glad that you are okay!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad that other than your thumb you're OK! Maybe with the thumb-bandage, you don't need a car! If you hold it out by the road, do people stop and offer you rides? :)

Elizabeth said...

Yep, sure do.

pappasan said...

Hmmmmm, I always thought shopping was a danger to ones health. In this case more to your van and thumb.

Unknown said...

Oh Liz...I'm so sorry about the whole thing. What a huge blessing not to have the kiddos in the van. Take care of that thumb

rock pup said...

it is pretty scary that you got in a wreck but after i heard that abby and josh could have been realy hurt and posibly killed if they were with you i thanking God that you all were safe. its pretty sad that your van isnt coming home ever agian, it was a pretty cool van... and then there is the court stuff that comes after a crash... geez so much stress... im just glad that you all are safe and that is the best thing out of this all.

Anonymous said...

So, so sorry about your accident. I know first hand, sorry to say (and I was a van too), how quick it happens and how a little delayed 'freak out' happens....especially when you think about what 'could' have happened. So glad things were no worse. I will bet you were sore. That is a major jostle to your body. Sorry to hear about Abby's asthma. Is there anything identified that triggers it? Hope by the time you see this everyone is feeling better. Love to you all.